Friday, August 26, 2011

When you have a few days off work...

Since I had a few days off of work I decided I would do some projects I've been wanting to do for a while! And in the process of taking pictures for the blog, it turned into some of my favorite new things around my house! It's a bit of a random post but hey, at least I'm posting something, right?

First up is a project I've been wanting to do ever since we bought our house 2 1/2 years ago. My bedroom has NO decorations in it. Its the one room I've kind of neglected. The walls were this color when we moved in and we just happened to find a bedding set that matched the walls and our furniture, so I've just left it how it is. Anyway, this was semi-inspired by Pinterest.com but when I was at Hobby Lobby and found the quote I'd been looking for I just had to buy it!



I love how it turned out and it makes me smile every time I see it.
Next thing was my new washer and dryer! Now that I can actually fit clothes in the washer and dryer, I don't dread doing laundry as bad! Now I really only have to do 3-4 loads of laundry a week instead of 6-7 that I was doing before! It saves so much more time and is so much more convenient! I think my favorite feature is the delay start so I can put soap in and set it to start in any given # of hours- that way on days I work I can have it be done right when I get home so it can go straight into the dryer!

This is on of my little craft projects I've done lately! The little stars are boxes from the craft store with scrapbook paper modge-podged (sp?) on them. The vases were from Tai Pan and probably my favorite part is the cute "S" I found at Hobby Lobby and painted black. I've been looking forever for a cute letter, not just the plain block letters most places usually have.
Next item was a splurge! I don't like to cook that often, but I don't mind baking! The mixer we had before was a pretty weak one and wasn't powerful enough to make bread or cookie dough so I would have to do all the mixing by hand, which usually meant I wasn't about to make anything! But Costco had this baby on a really good sale that also came along with a free ice-cream attachment so we decided we would pick one up! I love making homemade bread and other sweet treats with this and I love all the attachments! I just wish I had more of them so I could start making my own pasta and such!
I can't take credit for this next thing, but ever since Thad gave it to me for the first Valentines Day that we were married, it has been my most favorite thing we have in our house! It is a little hard to tell from the picture, but it's a mosaic of all of our wedding pictures. Most people that come over think it's a puzzle or something, but once you get up close you can really see each individual picture. I love it!
I'll admit I still really don' know how to use my sewing machine, but I would love to learn! I can hem my pants and sew a straight line, but that's really all I have done with it! If anyone wants to come over and teach me how to sew I'd be forever grateful!
This was also I gift from Thad. I pretty much love all the scents of perfume from Victoria's Secret and Im lucky enough to have a husband that surprises me with some new scents every once in a while when he goes to get his cologne. I particularly love the look of this bottle! From the black lace/pink fabric pump to the lace detail backing I think it's freaking cute!
This game and I have a love/hate relationship! Its super fun to do but I am so uncoordinated that I'm sure I look like a fool when I'm working out. It really doesn't feel like a workout though because im just dancing along to the music! Its also nice to be able to do it in my own home and not have to worry about going anywhere to be able to workout.
This little beauty is probably the best birthday present I've ever gotten (besides when I got Thad on my 18th birthday - that post will be coming up shortly). Its an Amazon Kindle. I love reading so it's perfect! So many free books that are really good! If anyone else has one let me know and we can share books!
I know everyone has seen the infomercials for these next two items, but let me tell you, they will change your life! Every vacuum I've had in the past works great for a month or so, but once it gets clogged with dirt, it never works the same again. We bought this vacuum shortly after we moved in and it still works as well as it did the day we got it. And mind you, we have 2 cats we are constantly having to clean up after because they shed like crazy!
This is our new counterpart to go along with the vacuum above. Since we don't have any carpet downstairs we usually just sweep and mop. However, since the cats shed, cat hair can build up in the back corners where you can't really get a broom. This little beauty gets into those places and cleans it right up! Its also nice when you have a few things on the floor but don't want to pull the broom out to sweep it up.
And, last but not least, our collection of board games! We love to play anything but lately our obsession has been Settlers of Catan. We recently bought the cities and knights expansion pack so it adds a whole new dimension to the game that's a lot of fun! We play with our neighbors all the time and they enjoy it as well.
So, there you have it... things I love! What things around your house do YOU love?

2 comments:

  1. Wow Christa, GOOD post! Your projects look great! So glad you've gotten to them! Your bedroom looks awesome and I'm still in love with those star boxes :) I didn't know about your delayed start washing machine. COOL :) See ya Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same vacuum except mine is red! And I LOVE your craft projects! Hobby Lobby is like Disney Land for me :)

    Can't wait to see you real soon!!!

    ReplyDelete